Friday, November 09, 2007

Question of the Day- The Office

(TV Tan Line)

Has NBC's "The Office" lost the heat on its comedic fastball? I am a huge fan, having watched every episode from the beginning but I did not laugh once last night. Overall, this season's episodes have been very depressing.

Michael is either delusional, in a constant state of denial about everything, or financially broken. In the past, some of this was humorous because you still had a sense that he patched things together in his own goofy way. Now, his character is just plain desperate.

The Pam/Jim story line is extremely boring. Dwight's peculiar personality is hard to laugh at because he is so broken down about losing Angela. I feel pity and empathy towards the assistant to the regional manager.

The other Office characters have minor roles and are unable to carry the whole show without funny bits from Michael.

Any Office fans out there, Let me know what you think.

Oh, I have banned myself from using Jump the Shark," so I did not apply it in this analysis. My reasoning is that "Jump the Shark" seems so early 00s like 2003ish and its meaning is highly diluted by people throwing it around all the time just to describe a crappy show that might not have been good in the first place.

Plus, the phrase was originally created in 1997 about a Happy Days episode that took place over 30 years ago. I have not yet came up with a new metaphor yet for its replacement. Being a huge Saved By the Bell fan growing up, I do like the Tori Conundrum. I think it is time for a modern version of a phrase which symbolizes your favorite TV shows' rapid descent into mediocrity.

I banning the use of "Man Crush" too. Too many old sports announcers are throwing it around when they are clueless about pop culture. I am still waiting for someone to make some jabs at Facebook or My Space on air. Who does not want to hear "poking" or "bulletin" wise cracks? I sure do.

Since we are nearing the Xmas holiday season, other items on my wish list include instant replay on home runs in MLB, the elimination of cell phone contracts, and HBO miking up NFL players so we can listen to their likely R rated smack talk.

Oh Santa, for a stocking stuffer, I would like the US occupation of Iraq to end at some point this decade. Sooner rather than later and yes, a boy can dream.

Happy Fryday!

Mac Gs World

No comments: