Wednesday, June 06, 2007

America Needs More Don Cherry


Just like the majority of the sports world, I stopped paying attention to hockey after their last work stoppage. The NHL's games are now on the Versus network, further cementing the league into media obscurity. This channel was so far off my Direct TV flipping remote rotation (Ch.608) that by the time I realized hockey was on, the game was over. Instead of playoff hockey, ESPN's prime time coverage included 2005 Poker US Open tournaments, spelling Bees, billiards and figure skating. It was a total kick in the nuts to the NHL! I watched my first 2 complete hockey games of the season, games 3 and 4 of Stanley Cup finals. It had it all: back and forth scoring, exciting offensive styles, and physical play. And yes, even some Fighting.

But by far the biggest highlight was Don Cherry's sound off during the 2nd intermission of Game 4. PURE Comedy! I knew he was funny and was a Canadian legend but I had no idea he was THIS hilarious. I think he forgets that he is on TV and could be more entertaining than my man Chuck Barkley.
My favorites included:

  • His memo to NBC Sports Chairman Dick Ebersol for more fighting
  • Holding up a Buffalo paper that pictured famous fights
  • His Tree Hugger's blast
  • Calling Hull out for his own controversial goal
  • His P.I.M.P. outfit.
MGsW's memo to TV Execs in sports: We need more of Don Cherry in America and less sports writers turned TV blowhards.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The Donald at his finest:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYjqaZIOUws