Monday, December 03, 2007

BCS Sucks

I can ramble on for 10 paragraphs on this topic but I see no need to continually highlight the obvious. BCS sucks as much the 30 minute drawn out FOX selection show that they had last night announcing the pairings for the BCS bowl games.

I am related to a college president in one of the major BCS conferences and I think it is time to fire him off an email to explain the rationale behind these college presidents continually endorsing such a crappy, inefficient way to determine a national champion.

I already know the reason the system continues to exist is to hoard the big pot of money for the Big 6 BCS conferences and protect the financial interests of the bowl CEOs/sponsors. As in most decisions or issues in our country, it is ALWAYS about the money.

Ohio State beat 2 average teams in Michigan and Penn State. As a Big 10 guy, I do not want to hear about how bad the Big 10 sucks for 8 months in case Ohio State gets rolled again. I watch the games every week and I know the conference sucks.

Mizzou should be playing in a BCS bowl game over KU, a team they just beat 2 weeks ago.

Georgia got screwed by the system because according to the rankings they should have been bumped up and instead they were penalized by not playing in conference title game. There needs to be a rule added that only conference champions can play in the national title game. My man at Hey Jenny Slater breaks this down quite well.

I love Colt Brennan and Hawaii but they would have 3 or 4 losses if it played in one of the BCS conferences. They did win all of their games and no big schools will play them so I guess they deserve a BCS shot. Boise State's win over OU last year helped their cause. However, no way they are one of the best 10 teams in the college football.

I keep hearing buzz about a SEC bias and I understand some of the logic for the argument. LSU, UF, UGA can play with any teams in America. I think it drops down a level after that to Auburn, Arkansas, Tennessee. The SEC definitely has more quality depth than most conferences but I do not think their tops teams are head and above everyone else.

The only way to settle the best conference argument is by bowl records and until then, they jury is still out.

LSU has 2 losses and gets to play in national title game. How are LSU's 2 losses more impressive than Va Tech, OU or USC? I know LSU smoked Va Tech way back in September and that seemed to propel them over the Hokies.

I think LSU is one of the most talented teams in America but if they get credit for 2 close OT losses then I feel they should get deducted for 3 of their other last second wins.(UF,Auburn,Bama)

I think LSU/OU is probably the match up for the national title game but honestly, does it even matter anymore?

I am not even making sense and my head is spinning from reneging on my promises not to ramble on.

Oh, only 35 days of hype until the BCS title game. I can not wait! UGH

I am sure ESPN will make us hate both teams by the 2nd week of December. DOUBLE UGH!

This hit should wake everyone up on a Munday morning.



Bowl Match Ups at Awful Announcing




Mac Gs World

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

The BCS has two jobs. Determining a #1 vs. #2 game and being the fat bouncer who determines the Rose/Fiesta/Sugar/Orange games.

So does it do that? Yeah. The old system would have no 'championship' (LSU would be in the Sugar Bowl against Mizzou or Kansas, Ohio State would be in the Rose Bowl against USC) and people would be having more fits.

Hawaii's in a BCS bowl because humans ranked them #10. I think they're heavily overrated, but because they're in a BCS bowl some of the wealth is spread around and not sitting pretty in just the BCS conferences.

If this was 1996, LSU would be the undefeated and undisputed #1 team in the country. I'm not saying they should be, but that's how strange voter perception can be if you tweak one thing (ties).

Mizzou got robbed, though. A travesty.

Mac G said...

Sank D, you are right that the BCS system is better than the old bowl one. Every team needs a conference championship game or they need to end them, which is not going to happen.

Mizzou beat KU and Illinois and lost to the same team twice. Their reward is the Cotton Bowl?

I love watching Hawaii play but UGA should roll them.

Anonymous said...

i already hate both teams...i just hate one less than the other.

LONG LIVE THE SWEATERVEST!!

Southern (in)Sanity said...

There is neither logic nor consistency to what happened.

Ohio State doesn't play - and they move up two spots; Georgia doesn't play - and they DROP a spot.

LSU (11-2) moves up FIVE spots with a 7-point win over Tennessee.

Virginia Tech, ahead of LSU going into the weekend, finishes 11-2 and beats Boston College (ranked higher than Tennessee) - but doesn't move up?

It's a joke. Plain and simple.

Anonymous said...

"I think LSU is one of the most talented teams in America but if they get credit for 2 close OT losses then I feel they should get deducted for 3 of their other last second wins"

I completely agree with that sentiment.

I wouldn't say that LSU is undeserving, but maybe Oklahoma, Georgia, USC, and Hawaii could make a pretty compelling case.

Whatever, the BCS has never done a good job of determining who the best team was in a given season.

Anonymous said...

Hello !.
You may , perhaps curious to know how one can reach 2000 per day of income .
There is no initial capital needed You may start to receive yields with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you thought of all the time
The company incorporates an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

It is based in Panama with offices everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
Do you want to become really rich in short time?
That`s your choice That`s what you desire!

I`m happy and lucky, I began to take up income with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. If it gets down to choose a correct companion utilizes your money in a right way - that`s it!.
I earn US$2,000 per day, and my first investment was 500 dollars only!
It`s easy to get involved , just click this link http://uteqakex.100megsfree5.com/qylehyz.html
and lucky you`re! Let`s take this option together to become rich

Anonymous said...

Hi!
You may probably be very interested to know how one can manage to receive high yields on investments.
There is no need to invest much at first.
You may commense to get income with a sum that usually is spent
for daily food, that's 20-100 dollars.
I have been participating in one company's work for several years,
and I'm ready to share my secrets at my blog.

Please visit blog and send me private message to get the info.

P.S. I make 1000-2000 per day now.

http://theinvestblog.com [url=http://theinvestblog.com]Online Investment Blog[/url]