Thursday, January 17, 2008

Word Association with Ike Turner

There are some things in American culture that you just remember by word or name association and you have no idea why. I compare it to love ballad lyrics of the 80s, which are permanently entrenched into my membrane and unable to erase no matter how hard I try. ("Rosanna" GO AWAY, you too "Amanda!")

Liz Taylor? She was married quite often. Marilyn Monroe? JFK nailed her. Poltergeist? The little girl died shortly after filming the movie. Apple Pie? Great With Ice Cream. Tomato Juice? Amazing with vodka and spices.

When I hear Ike Turner's name, I immediately think:
Wife Beater.

I was not even alive when Ike slapped around his then wife Tina. Ike Turner died last month and the results of his death were just released.

Ike Turner's death last month was caused by a cocaine overdose, according to an official report.The medical examiner's office in San Diego said its findings were that Turner "abused cocaine" which resulted in "cocaine toxicity".

No FN way! I am not a doctor but a 76 year old man should probably stay away from the yeyo. What is going to happen next, Keith Richard's liver fails?


Anyway, I dug into Ike's bio and found these interesting tidbits.

  • In 2005, he appeared on the Gorillaz' album, Demon Days, playing piano on the track, "Every Planet We Reach Is Dead". He played live with the band on the band's world tour to that particular song. In 2007, Ike won his first solo Grammy in the Best Traditional Blues Album category for the album, Risin' With the Blues. Before his death, a collaboration between Turner and the rock band, The Black Keys, by Gorillaz' producer Danger Mouse was expected for release next year.
  • Turner is said to have been married 14 times but he has only been known to have married four times publicly.
  • Tina accused Ike of violent spousal abuse, which Ike repeatedly denied for many years. However, in his 2001 autobiography Ike admitted, "Sure, I've slapped Tina... There have been times when I punched her to the ground without thinking. But I never beat her."

1 comment:

Cecilio's Scribe said...

Great stuff. Final quote is classic.

Not really related, but makes me think of Chris Rock skit about how you can't hit a woman but you can shake the shit out of her.