Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Rickey is Happy for Rickey's New Bust in Cooperstown


In my early days of firing up this chronic waste of time called Mac G's World, I used to refer to myself in the 3rd person. For example, "Mac G got super crunk last weekend" or "Mac G loves gawking at hoot poon" or "Mac G hates George W Bush, monogamy and obese people."

Until my boy JB pointed out the difficulty in following my writings using this style, I was constantly rolling out the 3rd person lingo. This activity was inspired by the fictional character Willie Mays Hayes from Major League("Willie Mays Hayes. I hit like Mays, and I run like Hayes") and most of all, the real life character of Rickey Henderson.

Mac G loved him some 3rd person and Rickey.

Rickey was selected to the Baseball Hall of Fame yesterday and the MLB all time steals record holder is arguably the best lead off hitter to ever play the game. Of course, this somehow means that 28 voters still did not cast their ballot for him. I am going to avoid spending too much time calling out every one of these narcissistic idiots because they really just want attention.

I suggest you read the story of Corky Simpson and this BS defense of him. Simpson voted for Tim Raines and left Rickey off his ballot completely. His little poor feelings are hurt because of the justifiable criticism that his moronic behavior produced on the web. (Damn Internet!!)

Riding with Rickey, a hilarious humor blog, calls out the idiotic Simpson as well:

Have we ever mentioned how much we utterly despise people who are contrarian for the sake of being contrarian? Simpson voted against Rickey for absolutely no other reason than to prove how much of a beautiful and unique snowflake he is.

You want to take a proud stand against a widely held institution? Make it American Idol. Make it the latest Michael Bay movie. We're ok with that. But don't make it Rickey. What exactly makes a joyless prick like this happy? Does the sun seem not so radiant to him? Does he find puppies to be not so adorable? Does music even sound pleasant to a guy like this?
A Fn Men. I hope this Gwynn and Ripken hater Greg Sadewski dbag had a large chunk of his 401k tied up into Lehman Brothers stock. OK, too cruel but it sure made me temporarily feel better.

Here is a list of memorable stories about Rickey and some of the legendary quotes from Rickey:

1) Rickey… on referring to himself in the third person:

“Listen, people are always saying, ‘Rickey says Rickey.’ But it’s been blown way out of proportion. People might catch me, when they know I’m ticked off, saying, ‘Rickey, what the heck are you doing, Rickey?’ They say, ‘Darn, Rickey, what are you saying Rickey for? Why don’t you just say, ‘I?’ But I never did. I always said, ‘Rickey,’ and it became something for people to joke about.”

4) This one might be my second favorite. This wasn’t too long ago, I think it was the year he ended up playing with the Red Sox. Anyway, he called San Diego GM Kevin Towers and left the following message: “This is Rickey calling on behalf of Rickey. Rickey wants to play baseball.”

5) This one happened in Seattle. Rickey struck out and as the next batter was walking past him, he heard Henderson say, “Don’t worry, Rickey, you’re still the best.”

15) A reporter once asked Rickey if he talked to himself, “Do I talk to myself? No, I just remind myself of what I’m trying to do. You know, I never answer myself so how can I be talking to myself?”

17) Rickey was asked if he had the Garth Brooks album with Friends in Low Places and Henderson said, “Rickey doesn’t have albums. Rickey has CDs.”

24) To this day and dating back 25 years, before every game he plays, Henderson stands completely naked in front of a full length locker room mirror and says, “Ricky’s the best,” for several minutes.

The whole 25 Rickey item list is a must read.


No comments: