Monday, January 28, 2008

Out Jurying

My lack of posts lately are a result of being called to serve my duty as a tax paying American Citizen and resident of the District of Columbia. Yes, I am a juror. The trial is not over and I am probably already saying too much.

The whole experience has been fascinating and I plan on writing a post about it at some point. I will consult my attorney, Dr Gonzo, to see about any potential legal snafus with spilling some of my guts online.

When I was asked by the Judge my profession during the the jury elimination selection process, I was tempted to say part time blogger just to see the Judge's reaction.

Surely, that would have qualified me to get the heave ho off the trial!! According to MSM, bloggers are ruining the world and so I was trying to fit into the negative narrative.

Oh, I need to come up with some better slang words for the term "blogger." It seems so 2004 and blah.

The most ironic moment about being selected for a DC jury trial was coming home to finding my W2s in the mail. DC, which has more population than the whole state of Wyoming, has ZERO representatives in Congress. Zippo, NADA, ZILCH!

I do not have 2 Senators or a Congressman with a vote. I still pay federal and DC state taxes with no direct representative in our government.

I understand the political aspects of DC's populace consisting of overwhelming number of democrats and thus, the Republican party not willing to give away 3 votes in Congress. They are protecting their party's interests.

However, this is a lesser concern compared to granting equal voting rights to every American citizen, regardless of party affiliation. Are we not Americans first and foremost? Our right to vote is the backbone of this republic and provides everyone with reassurance that their voice actually matters.

The GOP leadership in the Senate killed DC's chance to get a vote in the house last September and Bush was threatening a veto anyway.

Bush's preaches this utopian view of democracy in numerous speeches to foreign countries but the people living just blocks from where he sleeps at night are the most disenfranchised citizens in all of the United States.

I know no one cares about this issue because most people reading my dribble do not live here, so out of sight translates to out of mind.

I get that too but let me tell ya, being oppressed electorally by Uncle Sam in the federal legislative branch and yet, still having to give him a big chunk of my paycheck every other week, Fn SUCKS!

Then again, I am just a troop hating, peacenik, commie who wants to stop occupying foreign countries and spend most of our money here at home. What do I know?

Mac Gs World

No comments: