My will for anything in life suddenly hit rock bottom as Tynes field goal hooked left to beat Green Bay. The Giants outplayed the Packers in every facet of the game and deserved to win. I hope they beat the Pats.
I have not felt this bad since Eagles WR's Freddie Mitchell's catch on 4th&26, 49ers TO's last second game winning TD grab and the Broncos upset of the Packers in Super Bowl XXXII.
Here are the 5 stages of my current Packer fan grief:
- Denial- The Packers lose the NFC title game at home to the Giants led by Eli Manning? NO WAY! Eli's throws sailed to his WRs instead of Packer defenders. I thought Eli sucked in cold weather too.
- Anger- What was McCarthy doing abandoning the run so early in the 2nd half? How about calling more slants to Jennings and Driver? The short passing game, which was unstoppable all season, was MIA. Where was the Packers D? Favre's gunslinger act cost them the game. The Refs Fd the Packers on numerous calls. Why do I care about sports? I hate them and I am going to start following the Opera.
- Bargaining-If the Giants take out the Patriots, this loss will not seem as bad.
- Depression- I can not watch any football related programming for weeks and I might skip the Super Bowl. I do not want to get out bed, eat food or drink booze. The Packers might not get to another NFC title game again in my lifetime. My sports idol's (Favre) career might be over. A ex coworker was going to possibly hook me up with a Super Bowl ticket and I even had a place to crash in Phoenix. Now on that weekend, I will be going to Miss So Bell's family wedding. The Sports God's hate me.
- Acceptance- The Packers had an amazing improbable season, going from 8-8 to 14-4 and were one OT scoring drive away from a Super Bowl berth. This talented team is young, has a favorable cap number and in case Favre hangs it up, Aaron Rodgers is a capable NFL QB. Favre set every passing record and was instrumental in Green Bay's resurgence. The future looks bright for the organization.
I am already in stage 4 and once I get to acceptance, I will be able to write again. Word, Mac G.